ImageHost.org

Courtney Langton

Courtney is an aspiring high school teacher. Her teachables are History and English, but she's happy to teach anything that doesn't involve numbers or formulas. Her particular interest is in promoting gender equity and anti-oppression both in and outside the classroom. She writes a detailed To-Do list every morning, and enjoys nothing more than a good book and a plate of bacon on a rainy Saturday.

Jonathan Wong

Jonathan's primary interest is moral education. His teachable subjects are English and Music. He encourages critical thinking and hopes to teach his students to recognize, and strive for, what is truly important to them without forgetting to be compassionate, tolerant, and open-minded along the way. He likes making analogies and his favourite is one that compares life to jumping on a trampoline.

LINKS: Blogger
Canadian Chalkboard
Coffee, Calculations and Colombia!
Mewlings
Progressively Unnecessary
TeacHer Finance
It's Not All Flowers and Sausages
So You Want To Teach?
Classroom Confessions
Teach Hub
Web English Teacher
Blogging the Renaissance


ARCHIVES: June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 March 2010

More Impressions
Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ever since I decided to study music (and by extension, teach it), I always felt that I was in way over my head. Music Ed. was no exception yesterday. The only thing that kept me from launching myself into a flurry of self-doubt was the knowledge that I have gotten this feeling before every single music class I've ever taken in university. This is not an exaggeration. I don't think there has ever been a music class I have taken where I was able to walk out on the first day and think to myself "I think I can handle this course."

So you may ask, how did I manage to survive my undergrad? Well, it was mostly a product of first year impulsiveness. Back then, I knew that the simple fact that I was a bachelor of arts (not music) student meant that I would always, to some extent or another, start off a few steps behind everyone else. And being an impulsive (and, some might argue, idiotic) first year student, I must have decided to approach it as a challenge to overcome or some zealous variant of the "we will prevail!" mentality.

Also, I like music. Have I mentioned that? High school music was one of my favorite courses.

Anyhow. To my surprise, I actually managed to prevail, not only through first year, but in every year after that! And by fourth year, it was too late to change my second teachable subject, even if I had wanted to. I mean, to say that I was "stuck" teaching music would be a misnomer because it's not as if I don't like music and don't desire to teach it. I just always had doubts as to my ability to do so effectively. But I suppose this year will be telling.

Labels: , ,

Jonathan posted at 8:21 PM - Comments (3)

3 Comments:

Well, you could have stayed an extra year or two or three and picked up a French teachable. Just saying.

By Blogger Christian H, at September 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Jon, I feel exactly the same way about English. It's not very comforting to know that you may end up teaching something that you haven't had as much experience in.

Do you have Julia Brook for music? I was kind of out of it by the time this class came yesterday and missed the majority of the people in the class (despite the small size). Sorry if I missed you.

By Blogger Ashley, at September 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

If you walk in feeling like you can handle it then I would think that you shouldn't be taking it, yanno?

By Anonymous SS4BC, at September 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment