ImageHost.org

Courtney Langton

Courtney is an aspiring high school teacher. Her teachables are History and English, but she's happy to teach anything that doesn't involve numbers or formulas. Her particular interest is in promoting gender equity and anti-oppression both in and outside the classroom. She writes a detailed To-Do list every morning, and enjoys nothing more than a good book and a plate of bacon on a rainy Saturday.

Jonathan Wong

Jonathan's primary interest is moral education. His teachable subjects are English and Music. He encourages critical thinking and hopes to teach his students to recognize, and strive for, what is truly important to them without forgetting to be compassionate, tolerant, and open-minded along the way. He likes making analogies and his favourite is one that compares life to jumping on a trampoline.

LINKS: Blogger
Canadian Chalkboard
Coffee, Calculations and Colombia!
Mewlings
Progressively Unnecessary
TeacHer Finance
It's Not All Flowers and Sausages
So You Want To Teach?
Classroom Confessions
Teach Hub
Web English Teacher
Blogging the Renaissance


ARCHIVES: June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 March 2010

The Life Photo Archives
Thursday, August 27, 2009

This woman is one of my biggest teaching inspirations. Not because I knew her, or even because I know of the good work she's done-- I know absolutely nothing about her except what is contained in this picture from 1955. She's an inspiration because this picture of her embodies what I believe about being a teacher, and it reminds me how I should approach each day.

I found Miss Buske in the Life Photo Archives, recently made available on Google. Just search a name, date, or keyword and revel in what gems appear. If you find a photo you particularly love, you can order a framed copy with a click of a button.

Since I'm hoping to teach History, the Life Photo Archives are a big help to me. I'll use them as visual aids of my own, and they'll be invaluable to students doing research projects and presentations for my class. I also plan to have many historical photos and documents mounted on the walls of my classroom-- not to mention my own home, where I have gorgeous 1940s Life ads just waiting to be put up!

What kinds of things are a must-have for your classroom walls?

Labels: , , ,

Courtney posted at 9:58 PM - Comments (2)

2 Comments:

oooh! I will for sure be checking this out!

My must have is my Harry Potter poster! I am obsessed and I love that it inspires my kids. Plus, the ones that love the series as well usually form an instant connection with me when they walk in the room. Definitely essential.

Thanks for the well wishes on my blog :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

She is beautiful! Her poise, the smile, it's perfect!

Thinks I would enjoy to have on my wall are music joke posters (the world certainly isn't lacking in these) and perhaps pictures taken of recent performances. (My former high school has a board that gets updated with pictures every year that I quite enjoy). Perhaps a photo of Bach or Mozart in sunglasses might be enjoyable as well.

For an English classroom I would consider getting book covers in poster size. Some posters with poems on them would be appropriate as well.

Now you have me really thinking! I would love to have a classroom to decorate!

By Blogger Ashley, at August 28, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment